Wednesday 25 July 2012

Rambling Thoughts: "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

This was originally written as a post on The Book Club Forum, simply to go through my thoughts on the first book of the Hunger Games trilogy. This was written when I was about 7 chapters into the second book, Catching Fire, whilst tired and without any regard for structure. There are big spoilers for the book, too. If you have any answers for my randomly placed questions then please comment and let me know what you thought.

Can't help but say I was kind of underwhelmed by The Hunger Games. I enjoyed the stuff at the beginning. The first chapter made me fall in love with the book with how I came to understand the entire world within such a short period of time, and as it went on I was enjoying myself. I have to admit I was starting to get a bit bored with how everything was dragging out before the actual Hunger Games but I knew I'd get Battle Royale-esque escapades coming up.

And then the Hunger Games started and I just found everything a bit dull. Everything happened far too quickly, with too much bad stuff happening to Katniss within a few chapters. It started getting ridiculous the amount of times she had stuff flying at her.

It seemed that Collins tried getting all of the horrible things out of the way to build up a bland (possible) romance with some bland guy, creating a bland love triangle which appears out of place, especially at the beginning of Catching Fire. The love stuff is just so out of place, in my eyes, and ruins the strong character of Katniss and the pacing of the book. But Collins seems to have some issue with pacing, going from super speedy to boringly.

Regardless, I did kind of enjoy it, but I found it so dull at times. I was constantly wishing for things to happen.

One of the things I think that could have been improved is a bit more focus on the action. I didn't really feel the tension as most of the time she was on her own. Keep more people alive, have more encounters, increase the dread. Instead I was just thinking "Yeah, she'll be fine!" which, in a book like this, should not be what I am thinking. I should be wanting her to be fine against all odds. Instead, she has fire thrown at her and is poisoned but comes out all OK!

The lack of threat could have been due to the fact that we didn't spend much time with other characters. Cato never seemed to be enough of a threat, just kind of there looking for her and not doing much. Thresh was nothing, Foxface had a couple of cameos, the Careers... existed, I guess, and everyone else didn't matter. Deaths had no real impact. This, of course, comes from the fact that the book is written in first person, which meant Katniss couldn’t see everything else. But if maybe we heard about what awful things happened then maybe I could care more.

Thresh’s death seemed to cheat us of a good fight scene as it was done off screen. Did it take its toll on Cato? Did Thresh fight valiantly? Was he overcome with rage? What happened?!

And the ending was all kind of... what? I mean... what? What was with the muttations? I hope they get explained later in the books, because that bit seemed to completely jump the shark. Not that anyone questioned it, really.

Though, it’s not like anyone questioned anything. So often I thought Katniss would ask questions, to find things out (mostly asking Peeta why the hell he was with the Careers) but nope. She doesn’t. Instead she just blindly goes along with everything in ignorance, not even caring to wonder after Collins is done with that bit of the book.

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks Rue didn’t get enough time in the book for us to form an emotional attachment to her? She was just there one minute, then she was gone.

But yeah, those are my rambling thoughts on it. No editing done there, bar spoilers, to really make this make sense, but hopefully it does. So tired, so it probably reads horribly. Like I said, I still enjoyed the book, I just have a lot of issues with the latter parts of the book.

3 comments:

  1. Thought I would come and read your thoughts on The Hunger Games as promised (I'm Snapex on BCF.)

    I see why you didn't agree with me haha. I think in all honesty I'm just a sucker for romance, and it was the first dystopia book I had read (apart from the first 7 Battle Royal manga)

    I will say one thing though, I agree that there wasn't an awful lot of threat from the other characters as not enough time was spent developing them. You were told they were strong/nasty/evil/whatever and that's all you had to go by, so thinking back I never really felt like Katniss was in a lot of danger either.

    And Rue, because of what happens to her I think she should have been around more. Even though I will admit I was upset still haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading this. If you haven't already I've put up my thoughts on "Catching Fire" (they are a lot more... negative... ahem...) and I will eventually be doing my thoughts on "Mockingjay" (spoilers: I'm somewhere in the middle between liking and not liking it).

      Oh, and the "Battle Royale" manga? Yeah, I have my own thoughts on that! Suffice to say you should probably read the actual book, watch the film and stay away from the rest of the manga (Reasons for hating the manga partially given here: http://lnreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/battle-royale-response.html )

      I do like romance in my books, sure. I just need to really feel them. The love between Lyra and Will in "Northern Lights" felt like it had its place and grew throughout the books. Darren and Debbie in "The Saga of Darren Shan" felt right. It wasn't rushed, or forced in, but it felt right and really dealt with some of the struggles Darren had to go through because of his vampirism.

      In "The Hunger Games" it just feels out of place and the plot seems to come to a grinding halt at any mention of the romance. Too much time is dedicated to it, I feel.

      Delete
  2. I haven't yet but I'll be doing that straight after. Mockingjay was my favourite next to The Hunger Games. Maybe the reason you like it a bit more is because the love story doesn't play such a massive part in it.

    Battle Royal has been one of my favourite films since I was a about 12, I'd been waiting a long time to read the manga books so when I turned 18 I got 7 in a row before I'd even finished the first one. I wasn't pleased with it, I just didn't see the point in the sexual side to it so I never finished them. I'm guessing the get worse as they go along. The book however has been on my reading list for a while now.

    I haven't read Northern Lights yet (again its been on my reading list for a while haha) but I do agree with your reasons behind thinking the love between Katniss & Peeta was some what false. But for most of the trilogy Katniss love for Peeta was just survival, it isn't really till Mockingjay that she sees it as anything more.

    ReplyDelete

A Note On Ratings

This system is now defunct as I no longer use ratings. However, this is kept here just for older reviews.

I honestly believe that with a 10-point scale you can't gain everything from a review, however this is an easy way to quickly gauge my feelings as well as useful for comparisons.

Some reviews using the 10-point scale like to have 7 as an average for their reviews, however I prefer to use 5 as an average. The following also shows the colour coding I use:

0: May well be the worst thing ever made. Ever.
1-3: It's not good. At all.
4-6:: It's pretty much average. Not good, but not bad.
7-9: It's pretty good, with hardly any faults.
10: It's damn near perfect and may as well have been made by God!