Friday 30 December 2011

Top 5 Best Films I Didn’t See in 2011

Sometimes you see that there’s a film in the cinema that looks like something you’d really like. Sadly, due to budgetary constraints or pure lethargy you just don’t end up going. Then you need to wait until the DVD gets released or it is shown on TV before you actually see it and you end up kicking yourself for missing the theatrical release.

This is a list for those films.

5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

When I worked in a book shop I saw this book everywhere and it never really interested me. I heard it got made into a film and I didn’t care. Then it got remade and released just two years later and I still didn’t care. Then I saw the theatrical trailer for the remake.

This film looks like an action-packed film filled with intelligence. These seem so hard to come by today, and sometimes that’s a good thing. Commando wouldn’t have been any good if it decided to spend time on the plot rather than the action. But The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo just looks like David Fincher’s directing brings intelligence and action together so beautifully.

I love the style of the film, the action and the conversations between the characters already. All of this and I haven’t even seen the film yet.

4. Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids just looks hilarious. There’s no doubting that at all. The trailer alone is hilarious. And sometimes that is all you want from a film. Bridesmaids certainly looks like it delivered.

When I first heard of the film, though, I was against it. I just put it down because it looks so damn girly. I need to learn to not do this, because I am certain there’s stuff in there for the guys as well.

Well, that’s that film: it looks hilarious. Not sure if I expect it to be any more than that, but if it was to deliver I would love it.


3. Captain America: The First Avenger

God damn it Marvel films have been good this year. I was apprehensive about Thor, even though I already loved both Iron Man films, which I found out were in the same film universe as Thor. Yet it turned out to be a great film. So I checked out Captain America and it looked great. Brilliant, in fact. I had to see it. But of course, I didn’t.

Captain America looks to be another great origin story of a popular super hero, just like the other Marvel films. Whilst I doubt it will be better than Iron Man it still looks great and well worth a watch. It seems to have a good amount of action as well as honouring the comic books.

Especially after all the hiccups with previous iterations of Captain America this film could still, easily, be terrible. But there’s something about it that just looks great. You can tell a lot of effort was put into this film to get it just right.

Also, look at Red Skull. He looks so cool.

2. West is West

I love East is East. In fact, most people I know at least like the film. It’s a great look into how another culture operates without laughing at them but instead with them. Not only that but it felt like you knew everyone in that film. They all felt so familiar, as if it was someone who lived within your community, just down the street. So when I found out there was a sequel I was overjoyed.

Then I found out I had just missed it.

West is West looks like it captures the vision of East is East and looks to be an extremely funny comedy. This time, however, rather than just looking at the family within the community it will be in their home of Pakistan, introducing us to their traditions.

Hopefully this film did everything the original did and more to get the tone just right and give us a funny film that had a heart behind it.


1. Hugo

Did you see the trailer? Did you? No? Well watch it. Seriously, this film looks great. The rest of the films on this list I’m sure I’d like, but I’m not sure if they would go into my Top 10 Films of 2011 list. This film would, no doubt. It looks simply wonderful.

Everything about this film looked great. The acting of everyone, Christopher Lee!, the style of the film, how crisp the film looks, the setting, Ben Kingsley!, the visuals, the effects, Sacha Baron Cohen! I need to see this film. Apparently in 3D. I’ve heard the 3D is amazing, even if you don’t like 3D it’s good.

Well, it seems I need to go see this film at some point and- Wait, Hugo has a robot in it?! Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Note On Ratings

This system is now defunct as I no longer use ratings. However, this is kept here just for older reviews.

I honestly believe that with a 10-point scale you can't gain everything from a review, however this is an easy way to quickly gauge my feelings as well as useful for comparisons.

Some reviews using the 10-point scale like to have 7 as an average for their reviews, however I prefer to use 5 as an average. The following also shows the colour coding I use:

0: May well be the worst thing ever made. Ever.
1-3: It's not good. At all.
4-6:: It's pretty much average. Not good, but not bad.
7-9: It's pretty good, with hardly any faults.
10: It's damn near perfect and may as well have been made by God!