Saturday 25 December 2010

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Annie Lennox

I didn’t plan on doing a blog specifically for Christmas. I’m personally not into Christmas as much as many people seem to be. However, there is one thing I love about Christmas. Call me a traditionalist if you will, but one of my favourite aspects are the Christmas Carols, one of my favourite of these being the song “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”.

I don’t know why, it just is. I love the lyrics, I love the way it is delivered. It just seems right. So as you might guess, I’m quite particular about how a version of this song might be sung. Not always can these Christmas Carols be sung well or with the right amount of emotion by bands and artists.

However, Annie Lennox has somehow made “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” a much more accessible song to the public.



I don’t know what it is about it. I suppose everything is right about this song. The chorus in the background, the feeling that this is a ‘big’ song, the variety musical instruments cutting in and out when they are needed. It’s just wonderful.
 
The video is great too. I get a feeling that this is still very much Christmassy. The video has a Victorian feel about it. But then we also get a little bit of sass. There’s a feeling of cheek in there. Not only this but the video doesn’t look overblown, it just feels that way. It’s an amazing combination of auditory and visual mediums.

This song is off an entire Christmas album by Annie Lennox called “A Christmas Cornucopia”, released this year. For a Christmas album it's pretty darn good!

So enjoy this song and enjoy your Christmas, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Note On Ratings

This system is now defunct as I no longer use ratings. However, this is kept here just for older reviews.

I honestly believe that with a 10-point scale you can't gain everything from a review, however this is an easy way to quickly gauge my feelings as well as useful for comparisons.

Some reviews using the 10-point scale like to have 7 as an average for their reviews, however I prefer to use 5 as an average. The following also shows the colour coding I use:

0: May well be the worst thing ever made. Ever.
1-3: It's not good. At all.
4-6:: It's pretty much average. Not good, but not bad.
7-9: It's pretty good, with hardly any faults.
10: It's damn near perfect and may as well have been made by God!